Operating System: Windows XP (Note: might work with other versions of this os.)
Hi everyone I managed to get my 9630s scanner working under XP Pro sp2 !!
I'm not sure exactly how - but here's all the steps I went through
(there were a LOT more steps and loops to get there...)
1) install DTC436E isa SCSI board driver
system32\Drivers\DTC436E.sys should be installed
you may get
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
don't worry about this - try rebooting and optionally update driver again.
if this does not work try changing the jumper on the board J1 from PnR "Plug and run" (fixed config ?) to PnP "Plug and Play"
mine ended up at I/O location 02C0
2) install the latest ASPI drivers.
you will have to MANUALLY install the 16bit drivers...
winaspi.dll and wowpost.exe
3) install this driver... if presented with "do you want to replace this NEWER file say NO to keep the new file"
choosing the "non bundled" card option which does not install card drivers.
if the entire procedure does not work the strip it all off and use this one instead.
if you run it now you will see a GUI that looks stunningly like the Devcom one, preview works but 'scan' does not :-(
4) now we install the original devcom driver... if presented with "do you want to replace this NEWER file say NO to keep the new file"
choose the "dtc bundled" and "win 95" options.
yes win95 - this makes it install the 16bit & 32 bit drivers
5) delete the .\windows\Twain directory
LEAVING the .\windows\Twain_32 directory
6) try it - both the 'preview' and 'scan' options should work....
...told you it was convoluted....
I did a lot of going round the houses to get where I did so should really completely reinstall my XP system to test the procedure, surprisingly enough I'm not going to, it's working for me.
all the above files are in the attached zip file.
have fun !